Front End Software Engineer
Our team is excited to work at G Adventures because we love tech and we love travel. We are primary drivers of the technical decisions in an industry that is traditionally non-technical. We enjoy working in an open source environment with the ability to choose the right tools for the job. The complexities of the product (adventure trips) are beyond typical online goods and there are many challenges for any interested front-end programmer, with plenty of room for innovation to disrupt the industry standard.
This opening specifically pertains to our agent reservations portal, where agents can get quick and easy access to all the information they require to book our trips, as well as request changes to existing reservations.
Some of our ongoing initiatives include improving usability and workflows, integrating with internal and external APIs, and interfacing with CRM systems. We’re committed to first collecting the right data so that we can work smarter and faster, ensuring we make educated decisions in our system changes.
Our team is enthusiastic and involved in the Toronto tech scene, attending conferences such as DemoCamp, AndroidTO, EcommerceCamp, PyCon, and DjangoCon. Beyond the tech world, there are great travel perks and a vibrant entrepreneurial culture. G Adventures remains wholly owned by its founder, Bruce Poon Tip, which fosters an environment akin to a nimble start-up, with the perks of an established company, but without the long hours.
- Collect data related to the current use of the application and follow data-driven development
- Improve the UX of the existing functionality
- Write short specs and prototypes to test new ideas
- Apply best practices to provide enjoyable user experiences
- Write unit tests for the new code you create
- Ensure your code is designed with maintainability in mind
- Research new or existing technologies that would benefit internal or external customers
- Lately, our front-end JS libraries are primarily jQuery and Backbone.js
- All of our servers run on Ubuntu
- We work with Python and use Django as our framework for the backend
- Search uses django-haystack with a Solr index; github manages our source code; fabric deploys to production in one line
- You will be working with a Mac. Tools are your choice, but we have some recommendations!
- Everyone on our development team has an entrepreneurial spirit that we look for in new hires. You should be passionate about technology and trying new ideas.
- 1-3 years of relevant, professional work experience
- Expert knowledge with HTML5 and CSS3, follows W3C coding practices
- Familiarity with browser testing and debugging
- Familiarity with A/B testing techniques
- Familiarity with user journey mapping and user-focused design patterns
- Programming experience in an open source environment
- Understanding of OOP
- Python knowledge is an asset; Django even better
- A short list of new technologies that you’re excited about and would like to learn
- Bonus points for sending links to existing work, as well as sample code of your personal projects on github or bitbucket
- Become a key player at one of the world’s top tour operators. Launch exciting initiatives in a global company with significant growth opportunities. A competitive salary, health benefits including major medical insurance, dental, life insurance, vacation time and unique travel opportunities are offered.
To apply you must hold appropriate citizenship or documents permitting you to reside and work in Canada.
We thank all candidates for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.