Experience the contrast between cultures, meet the ancient Terracotta Warriors, cross the East China Sea, get a bird's-eye view of Mt Fuji from a cable car, stay in a traditional ryokan
Explore two ancient nations in 18 well-packed days on this unique journey that takes you from the epic lengths of the Great Wall of China to the poetic views of Mt Fuji. You'll face an army of Terracotta Warriors for an historical encounter you won't soon forget and spend nights in a traditional ryokan and a shukubo temple lodging for an authentic Japanese experience. Our CEOs will take you off the beaten track to reveal the cultural treasures of the region’s ancient sites.
- Great Wall excursion and entrance (Beijing). Tiananmen Square and Forbidden City guided tour. Terracotta Warriors excursion (Xi'an). Master of the Nets Garden visit (Suzhou). Shanghai orientation walk. Sea Ferry journey. Overnight in a temple on Mt Koya with traditional meals. Hiroshima Peace Park and Museum visit. Miyajima excursion with floating Torii Gate visit. Nijo Castle and gardens visit (Kyoto). Kinaku-ji Golden Pavilion visit. Daisen-in Temple and Zen garden visit. Mt Owakudani cable car ride (Hakone). Lake Ashino-ko boat ride. Traditional ryokan stay with kaiseki meal. Japan Rail (JR) pass (7-day). Internal flight. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- 4 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 2 dinners. (Allow USD400-590 for meals not included.)
- Hotels (12 nts), sleeper train (1 nt), ferry (2 nts, multi-share), mountain monastery (1 nt), Japanese-style ryokan accommodation with hot springs (1 nt).
- Train, local bus, air-con bus, sea ferry, boat, walking, plane, bullet train.
- Chief Experience Officer (CEO) throughout except on ferry from China to Japan, local guides.
- Small group experience; Max 15, avg 12
Book Air, Save a BundleSAVE $100 when you book your airfare with us
That's right. Book your airfare when you book your G Adventures trip and we'll slice $100 off the price for you. Simply enter promo code G13PLUSAIR100 when prompted and we'll do the rest.
Offer valid for new bookings only with international air travel originating in North America added to a land booking. Not valid with any other discount, offer or promotion. Subject to availability. Must book by June 30, 2014, for travel by February 1, 2015. Subject to airline regulations and restrictions.
G Adventures’ Classic trips provide meaningful small-group travel experiences to curious travellers eager to interact with the world as it truly is.Learn more
Day 1 Beijing
Arrive at any time.
Days 2-3 Beijing
Included visit to the Great Wall and tour of the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square.
Day 4 Xi'an (1L)
Fly to Xi'an and visit the Terracotta Warriors. Opt to cycle the city's ancient walls.
Day 5 Suzhou
Visit Suzhou, the 'Venice of the East'. Take in the Master of Nets performance.
Days 6-7 Shanghai
Shanghai Bund walking tour. Opt to see a Chinese acrobat show.
Days 8-9 Ferry to Osaka (2B)
Cross the East China Sea to Japan aboard a modern passenger ferry.
Day 10 Osaka
Free time to explore this vibrant and exotic city. Options included visiting Osaka Aquarium.
Day 11 Koyasan (1B,1D)
Visit the centre of Buddhism in Japan and sleep in a temple atop the 800m Mt Koya. Included shojin ryori (Buddhist vegetarian cuisine) meals. Watch the monks pray in the morning.
Days 12-13 Hiroshima
Visit the Peace Park and Museum and take a ferry ride over to the sacred island of Miyajima to see the famous floating Torii Gate.
Days 14-15 Kyoto
Visit the impressive Nijo Castle and gardens and the famous Kinaku-ji Golden Pavilion. Practice meditation in Daisen-in's Zen rock garden.
Day 16 Hakone and Mt Fuji (1B,1D)
Take a cable car up Mt Owakudani for views of Mt Fuji, a boat ride on Lake Ashino-ko and a walk along the Old Tokaido Highway. Staying in traditional ryokan accommodation, you will feast on a Japanese multi-course kaiseki meal, soak in the natural hot springs and sleep on a futon.
Day 17 Tokyo
Free time to explore Tokyo and do some last-minute shopping.
Day 18 Tokyo
Depart at any time. We highly recommend booking pre- or post-accommodation to fully explore this vibrant city.
Find dates, prices, and more trip options.Book Now