Enjoy a walk along the Great Wall and a cycle along Xi'an's city walls, ponder Tibetan spirituality in Buddhist temples and monasteries, get up close and personal with pandas at a breeding centre in Sichuan, cruise the mighty Yangtze River on a luxury riverboat, taste tea in a traditional ceremony and learn about Chinese calligraphy
While retracing the footsteps of ancient warriors along the Great Wall, you realize you’re onto something. You want to get into the heart of the Middle Kingdom and our guides will take you ‘over the wall’. Handpicked for their expertise, they’ll bring you deep into China and walk backward in time with you to Tibet where you’ll reconnect with ancient ways long forgotten by the modern world. You'll have the chance to visit and have lunch at the village where the Terracotta warriors were unearthed, and experience a tea tasting in Shanghai. You won’t just experience China’s arts and culture, you’ll become a part of it.
- Arrival transfer. Visit to the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall. Tour of Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City and the Temple of Heaven. Bike ride along the Xian city wall. Orientation walk in Xi'an Muslim Quarter and street markets. Tour of the Terracotta Warriors and visit the village where they were found for a local lunch. Orientation walk in Barkhor square. Tour of Jokhang Temple, Potala Palace and Sera Monastery. Visit the Tibetan Medicine Institute. Take a Tibetan cooking class and enjoy a local lunch. Tour of the Panda Breeding Center. Yangtze River Cruise with excursions to Fengdu Temple, and the Lesser Three Gorges or Shennong Stream (depending on the season). All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- 14 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 5 dinners. (Allow USD300-450 for meals not included.)
- Comfort hotels (10 nts), soft-sleeper overnight train (1 nt), Yangtze riverboat (3 nts).
- Train, minibus, cruise boat, small canal boat, ferry, plane, walking.
- English-speaking Chinese Chief Experience Officer (CEO), local guides.
- Small group experience; Max 15, Avg 10.
Book Air, Save a BundleSAVE $100 when you book your airfare with us
That's right. Book your airfare when you book your G Adventures trip and we'll slice $100 off the price for you. Simply enter promo code G13PLUSAIR100 when prompted and we'll do the rest.
Offer valid for new bookings only with international air travel originating in North America added to a land booking. Not valid with any other discount, offer or promotion. Subject to availability. Must book by June 30, 2014, for travel by February 1, 2015. Subject to airline regulations and restrictions.
Day 1 Beijing (1D)
Arrive at any time and transfer to hotel. Enjoy a first taste of Chinese cuisine with a Beijing duck welcome dinner.
Day 2 Beijing (1B)
Tour of the famed Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City and the Temple of Heaven with free time in the afternoon for shopping.
Day 3 Beijing (1B)
Take a walk along the 500 year old Mutianyu section of the Great Wall of China. Spend time exploring the towers, views, and the magnificent structure of this unique wonder. This evening, board an overnight sleeper train to Xi'an.
Day 4-5 Xi'an (2B,1L)
Explore Xi'an with a bike ride along the ancient city walls. This evening, visit the Muslim Quarter and local markets. On Day 5, visit the famed Terracotta Warriors, then have lunch in the local farming village where these priceless artifacts were found.
Day 6 Lhasa (1B)
Fly over the Himalayas to Tibet. Enjoy an orientation walk with a local guide through Barkhor Square.
Days 7-9 Lhasa (3B,1L)
Guided visit to the Potala Palace, the sacred Jokhang Temple and Tibetan Medicine Institute to learn more about Tibetan spirituality and culture. On Day 8, visit the Sera Monastery and take a cooking class to make (and eat) Tibetan Momo beef dumplings. Free time on Day 9 for optional hiking, monastery visits or just explore Lhasa on your own.
Day 10 Chengdu (1B,1D)
Fly to Chengdu and sample the famed and fiery Sichuan cuisine for dinner this evening.
Day 11 Chongqing (1B)
Visit the Panda Breeding Center, learn about and observe these gentle animals. Later board a luxury riverboat for the first night on the Yangtze.
Day 12-13 Yangtze River Boat (2B,2L,2D)
Cruise the Yangtze River with daily shore excursions which can include Fengdu, Shibaozhai or Wanzhou; sailing through Qutang Gorge/Wu Gorge, Daning River Small Gorges or Shennong Stream; sailing through Three Gorges dam shiplocks, and optional excursion to White Emperor City (all depending on the season and river conditions). Sleep well in well appointed cabins and enjoy shipboard activities such as tai chi, tea tasting and Chinese calligraphy classes.
Days 14 Shanghai (1B,1D)
Tour of Three Gorges Dam before flying to Shanghai and enjoy a farewell dinner.
Day 15 Shanghai (1B)
Depart at any time.
Find dates, prices, and more trip options.Book Now