Embark on a boat trip on Lake Chamo, uncover rural culture and traditions, meet different ethnic groups, view the incredible birdlife of Lake Ziway, camp with the Mursi people
This 12-day adventure through a less-visited part of Ethiopia offers travellers willing to go without some western conveniences an opportunity to truly interact with various ethnic communities. Explore the enigmatic beehive houses of the Dorze and stop in numerous villages for truly immersive cultural encounters with the Ari, Karo, Mursi, Hamer and Dassanech people. Visit two national parks and explore Lake Chamo by boat in search of crocodiles, hippos and bird life. With your expert CEO doing the planning, you're free to soak in the diversity of this remote land and its incredible people.
- Lake Chamo boat safari (Nechisar National Park). Dorze market and village visit. Traditional lodging overnight stay with dance ceremony. Konso Museum, Chief and village visit. Anthropological Museum visit (Jinka). Ari village visit. Camping with the Mursi. Key Afar market and village visit. Karo and Hamer village visits. Hamer dance performance. Dimeka Saturday market visit. Boat ride across Omo River for Dasanech tribal visit. Borena village visit. Yabelo camel market visit. Tutu Fella's stelae visit. Sidamo community walk. Lake Ziway visit and bird-watching. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- 8 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 5 dinners. (Allow USD80-100 for meals and drinks not included.)
- Simple hotels (4 nts), simple lodges (2 nts), traditional accommodation (1 nts), camping (4 nts).
- 4x4 landcruiser, boat.
- Chief Experience Officer (CEO)/driver(s) throughout, local guides.
- Small group experience; Max 14, avg 10
Add to your Experience
Book Air, Save a BundleSAVE $100 when you book your airfare with us
That's right. Book your airfare when you book your G Adventures trip and we'll slice $100 off the price for you. Simply enter promo code G13PLUSAIR100 when prompted and we'll do the rest.
Offer valid for new bookings only with international air travel originating in North America added to a land booking. Not valid with any other discount, offer or promotion. Subject to availability. Must book by June 30, 2014, for travel by February 1, 2015. Subject to airline regulations and restrictions.
G Adventures’ Classic trips provide meaningful small-group travel experiences to curious travellers eager to interact with the world as it truly is.Learn more
Day 1 Addis Ababa
Arrive at any time.
Days 2-3 Arba Minch/Dorze Village (2B, 2D)
Take a boat safari on Lake Chamo. Enjoy a Dorze market and village visit. Spend the night in traditional Dorze lodging.
Days 4-5 Konso/Mursi (1B, 1D)
Visit Konso Museum and learn about local conservation efforts at Gersale village nursery, where you can plant a seedling tree. Visit the Anthropological Museum in Jinka before continuing onto an Ari and Mago National Park.
Days 6-8 Turmi (3B, 3L, 3D)
Visit Key Afar market and villages of the Karo and Hamer peoples. Stop at the Dimeka Saturday market.
Day 9 Konso (1B, 1L)
Visit Omorate, home of the Dassanech tribe, and its local market. Then, cross the Omo River by a canoe.
Days 10-11 Yabelo/Yirgalem
Visit the Borena region's archaeological site, Yabelo Camel market, Borena village and Tutu Fella's stelae and go on a walk through the Sidamo community. Optional visit to Yabelo National Park.
Day 12 Addis Ababa (1B)
Visit Lake Ziway and go bird-watching, then see how the Ziway communities are using energy-saving stoves. Depart on arrival to Addis Ababa in late afternoon.
Find dates, prices, and more trip options.Book Now