Meet hardy locals and seeing unique wildlife in the Falkland islands, explore abandoned whaling stations and visiting Shackleton’s grave, walk quietly amongst king penguins and watching them surf into the beach, learn about the environment and ecology from industry experts, spot whales and seals while cruising through icebergs on Zodiacs, set foot on the continent of Antarctica
Special Offers and Promotions
- Book Now Save 15%Departures Oct 01 - Dec 31Expires in 7 daysPromo Code G14ANTARCTIC15
- From$9349USD Category 1 Triple
- From$10624USD Category 2 Twin
- From$11474USD Category 3 Twin
- From$12324USD Category 4 Twin
- From$8499USD Category 1A Quad
Challenge. Desolation. Unlimited wonder. It’s not difficult to grasp what attracted the great explorers to Antarctica. Get a personal appreciation for the struggle to tame the bottom of the world on this 22-day adventure to the land than entranced Ernest Shackleton and countless others since. Down here, you’ll explore the Falkland Islands, encounter abandoned whaling stations on South Georgia Island, and pay your respects at Shackleton’s grave. Elsewhere, you’ll catch up with penguins (king, chinstrap, and gentoo varieties) and learn all about them through daily lectures, get close to whales and cavorting seals from a Zodiac boat, and keep an eye peeled for towering icebergs and massive glaciers. Prepare to be astonished.
- 20 nts on board the MS Expedition. Arrival transfer from airport in Montevideo for flights arriving on Day 1. Departure transfer to Ushuaia airport depending on disembarkation day. 1 nt accommodation with breakfast in Montevideo. Zodiac cruises and shore landings with our expert expedition team. Lecture and educational programs. Waterproof boots supplied for men's USA sizes 8-14 and women's USA sizes 3-9. Expedition parka. Antarctica destination guidebook.
- All meals included aboard the MS Expedition. Breakfast included at the hotel.
- Twin-share hotel (1 nt), aboard the MS Expedition in quad-, triple-, twin-share cabins, or suites (all with en suite bathrooms and porthole or window) (20 nts). Please note that all cabins consist of twin-size berths and are ocean-facing. Suites have 1 queen-size bed.
- MS Expedition, Zodiac, private bus.
- 1 Expedition team member per 10 guests.
Book Air, Save a BundleSAVE $100 when you book your airfare with us
That's right. Book your airfare when you book your G Adventures trip and we'll slice $100 off the price for you. Simply enter promo code G13PLUSAIR100 when prompted and we'll do the rest.
Offer valid for new bookings only with international air travel originating in North America added to a land booking. Not valid with any other discount, offer or promotion. Subject to availability. Must book by June 30, 2014, for travel by February 1, 2015. Subject to airline regulations and restrictions.
Day 1 Arrive Montevideo
Arrive at any time (arrival transfer included).
Day 2 Depart Montevideo (1B,1D)
Embarkation on the MS Expedition begins in the afternoon at the port of Montevideo.
Day 3-5 At Sea (3B,3L,3D)
As you make the passage southeast, become acquainted with the ship. We also introduce our lecture and educational sessions about the extraordinary human and natural history of the Antarctic region begin.
Day 6-7 Falkland Islands (2B,2L,2D)
The Falkland Islands provide a rare opportunity to witness the biological diversity and extraordinary scenery of the southern islands. Penguins and albatross are abundant here, and the Falklands have the largest black-browed albatross colony in the world. In Stanley, meet the hardy local inhabitants whose colourful houses provide contrast to the long, dark winters.
Day 8-9 At Sea (2B,2L,2D)
Sailing east, you'll set course for South Georgia. Days at sea are filled with lectures to prepare us for landings. Keep your eyes peeled for the many whales that inhabit these waters.
Day 10-13 South Georgia (4B,4L,4D)
Home to many interesting sites (including the grave of polar explorer Ernest Shackleton), South Georgia has several former whaling stations and boasts plenty of wildlife. Visiting a huge colony of king penguins is a major highlight of this part of the journey. Weather permitting, we will have 3-4 days to explore this island.
Day 14-15 At Sea (2B,2L,2D)
Plotting as southwesterly course across the Scotia Sea, we sail for two days, retracing Shackleton's route backwards as we head towards Elephant Island and the Antarctic Peninsula.
Day 16-19 South Shetland Islands, Antarctica (4B,4L,4D)
Experience some of the most unique wildlife and awe-inspiring scenery in the South Shetland Islands, just north of the Antarctic Peninsula. Attempt two shore landings per day (weather permitting), and encounter gentoo, chinstrap, and Adélie penguin rookeries; Weddell, crabeater, and leopard seals; and orca, humpback, and minke whales in the cold Antarctic waters. The peninsula also has a remarkable human history; during the voyage we will learn about some of the most important and dramatic expeditions to this remote corner of the world.
Day 20-21 Drake Passage (2B,2L,2D)
Reflect on your memorable adventure and take in some final lectures as you head back to Ushuaia. Keep a careful look out for your last chance to spot whales.
Day 22 Depart Ushuaia (1B)
Disembark in the morning.
Find dates, prices, and more trip options.Book Now