Witness authentic voodoo ceremonies and dances, explore the forests of Kpalime, meet African spiritual leaders and even royalty, attend a traditional Bwa mask ceremony, visit ancient mosques and modern cities, learn about the slave trade in Ouidah.
Get off the beaten track and into the hills, forests and villages that make up the 'Voodoo Trail' of West Africa for an immersive experience that few travellers get to have. Meet African royalty and witness tribal dancers fall into trance-like states as you enjoy an authentic cultural experience like no other. An expert CEO will guide you through the stunning landscape, helping with the cultural and lingual hurdles, ensuring you come away with deep insight into the origins of Africa’s mystical animist religions. This is a truly mind-blowing experience. Interested?
- Arrival transfer. Lomé city tour. Voodoo ceremony experience. Kpalime guided nature walk. Slave route guided walk (Ouidah) with Python Temple visit. Ganvié stilt village visit (Lake Nowke). Porto-Novo city tour. Audience with Yoruba king (if his schedule permits). Abomey palace guided tour. Egun dancing mask ceremony. Fulani tribe visit. Moba tribe visit. Somba and Tamberma adobe castles visit. Gurunsi tribe visit and traditional dance ceremony. Dagarti and Lobi tribes visit. Loropeni visit. Guen king and tribe visit. Senoufo village visit. Banfora town tour. Bobo city tour. Bwa mask ceremony. Craft market visit. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- 15 breakfasts, 1 lunch. (Allow EUR145-190 for meals and drinks not included.)
- Simple hotels/guesthouses (15 nts).
- Minibus, walking.
- Chief Experience Officer (CEO) and driver throughout, local guides.
- Small group experience; Max 16, avg 8
Add to your Experience
Book Air, Save a BundleSAVE $100 when you book your airfare with us
That's right. Book your airfare when you book your G Adventures trip and we'll slice $100 off the price for you. Simply enter promo code G13PLUSAIR100 when prompted and we'll do the rest.
Offer valid for new bookings only with international air travel originating in North America added to a land booking. Not valid with any other discount, offer or promotion. Subject to availability. Must book by June 30, 2014, for travel by February 1, 2015. Subject to airline regulations and restrictions.
G Adventures’ Classic trips provide meaningful small-group travel experiences to curious travellers eager to interact with the world as it truly is.Learn more
Day 1 Lomé
Arrive at any time, arrival transfer included.
Days 2 Kpalime (1B)
City tour of Lomé, including the fetish market. Encounter voodoo firsthand at a local celebration.
Day 3 Ouidah (1B)
Guided forest walk in Kpalime, then travel back through Lomé before crossing the Benin border.
Day 4 Porto-Novo (1B)
Guided walk along the slave route in Ouidah and visit to the Temple of the Python. Boat ride across Lake Nowke, stopping en route to visit the Ganvié stilt village.
Day 5-6 Bohicon/Dassa (2B)
Porto-Novo city tour with visits to the Ethnographic Museum, religious centres and herbal market. Visit a genuine Yoruba king, the Abomey Royal Palace, see the colourful Egun Dancing Mask celebration and visit the Savalov.
Day 7-8 Natitingou/Atakora (2B)
Visit a Fulani encampment to witness nomadic culture firsthand. After, visit Somba adobe castle.
Day 9-10 Dapaong/Gurunsi Region (2B)
Visit Tamberma fartifies villages (UNESCO) and a village of the Moba people. In Burkina Faso, see the Gurunsi tribe's fresco houses.
Day 11-12 Gaoua (2B)
Explore the Dagarti and fascinating Lobi peoples' villages.
Day 13 Banfora (1B,1L)
Explore Loropeni (a UNESCO World Heritage Site), visit the Guen people and their king, visit a Senoufo village.
Day 14-15 Bobo/Ouagadougou (2B)
Tour of Banfora and Bobo regions, Bwa mask celebration, craft market visits.
Day 16 Ouagadougou (1B)
Depart at any time.
Find dates, prices, and more trip options.Book Now